Dear Mark,

Unfortunately you do need a Belarus transit visa.  The last time I did this
journey it could not be issued on the train.  If the rules are still the same,
you will be thrown off the train if you have not got a transit visa. When it
happened to me, the border guard told me with an absolutely straight face that
I would not have needed a transit visa had I been in an aeroplane!

Kind regards,
AEW