Thanks for the advice ,
unfortunately I was too busy to try your suggestions yet,  but I'm
also not confident they'll help
since after typing 'telnet 90.0.0.3' I immediatley
get the response 'connected to 90.0.0.3' but
it then takes a long time for the login prompt after connecting . (
lynx & netscape also get an immediate response from the other
machine(i.e the apache intro page))