It helps to think of the X server as the component that is making graphics,
widgets, and other display and user interface services available to the
client application which needs those services in order to get input and
display output for the user.

Client/Server has always referred to the components that consumed (client)
and supplied (server) services never the physical location of those
components.

The idea of a server being a box behind some locked door and a client being
a machine on someone's desk is what happened after some suits decided to
try and explain client/server to the more expensive suits.

Dean O.