Alex ZIJDENBOS wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 10:13:35PM -0700, Eosnet Team wrote:
> | From: Vincent Danen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> | [...]
> |
> | > The whole point of Linux is personal preference and choice... choices you
> | > make by looking at and playing with different packages... draw your own
> | > conclusions.  Start dictating packages on install and that's too close to
> | > the way *other* operating systems are laid out.
> | >
> | I agree for the most part, however, what I think his point was, was toward
> | the novice users who may be installing linux for the first time. Right now
> | it is very old fasioned compared to the windows installation.
> |
> | Sure, keep the standard packages, but I think recomending ceartain programs
> | would be a good idea for the new linux user, and the advancement of linuxs'
> | popularity.
>
> I agree. I've been a linux user for quite some time now, and pretty
> familiar with it. However, everytime I install a new distro I find
> myself spending an hour or two weeding out packages I don't want, need
> or have never even heard of - even if I've been quite conservative in
> the installation process. I've helped total newbie users set up linux
> boxes (Mandrake 6.1 being of course the distro of choice), and they
> are typically completely overwhelmed by the amount of Stuff that ends
> up on their disk...
>
> I would say that the default installation should be a very minimal
> one, with only the necessary and basic, "recommended" packages being
> installed. But the rpms of all the other packages should still be
> provided in the distribution, such that the expert users still have
> their choice... Personally, I'd rather select any additional packages
> during the installation - or install them later - than remove them
> afterwards to free up some disk space. To some extend Mandrake is
> already doing a good job at this, but as far as I'm concerned the base
> selection of packages could be a lot `leaner.'

One trick I've learned is to unselect ALL of the check boxes during
installation.  It will install only the absolute bare necessities onto
the system, around 80M if I rememeber right.  Then reboot and install
the extra packages by picking them off the CD.  It's time consuming, but
it's the best way I've found (so far) of getting only the things I want
installed onto a system.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator