I have had good luck with the HP OfficeJet 630.  SANE will run it as a
scanner, and the HP 6xxC driver runs it.  It sells for about $300.  Also have
done well with HP 850 and 870 using the same driver.  HP 612/712 etc, the
driver supplied is so alpha the printer doesn't notice it.  100% unresponsive
for B&W, Color, and combined drivers.  BAsically avoid winprinters and stick
to those that

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor lists in his database as "works perfectly"

Civileme