Hi,

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, John LeMay wrote:

> You make no mention of actually moving the new kernel from
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot to /boot, but I assume you did that. I do
> not believe make mrproper or make clean are necessary any longer. Don't
> forget to run /sbin/lilo after you edit /etc/lilo.conf and move the new
> kernel. The steps:
>
> make xconfig
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make modules
> mv /lib/modules/current /lib/modules/modules.old
> make modules_install
> vi /etc/lilo.conf
> mv /boot/bzImage /boot/oldimage
> cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage
> /sbin/lilo
>
> Reboot.

I always put a new bzImage to a floppy so I don't need to configure lilo.
So I just boot it from a floppy.

Last time I did it differently: before invoking "make modules_install",
I did:
        cd /lib;
        mv modules modules-old
        cd /usr/src/linux; make modules_install
Then reboot with new kernel on the floppy.

Now I got some progress in that my 3com905C NIC was recognized, which is
why I need to recompile the kernel.  However, lpd is not working properly
from the new kernel. The cause I guess is that 2 modules of "parport_pc"
or the like shows (through lsmod) "uninitialized".  The result is that
printing jobs are just hanging there until I reboot linux with the
original kernel.

My conclusion is that the loadable modules somehow are incompatible.  I am
newbie in using modules (this is my first time to use loadable
modules) so I'll appreciated it very much if someone can kindly tell me
how to deal with modules.

Joe