Joachim Holst wrote:

> I an't see how that fits in. When I installed the system, it asked me to
> add a users and in wich runlevel I wold like too boot. If it was done for
> security reasons, I should not have been asked to add a user. Redhat that
> doesn't ask for a useraccount during install (at least not 6.0) doesn't
> behave that way and in RedHat you have to manually give users access to
> CD-Rom and floppy drives.
>
> So nah, I don't buy your  argument..

All right.

You don't, but most of us who administrate Linux boxes in networking
environment do.

If you really need a proof, try this:

- open an X session as usual then "xhost +localhost" in a shell
- telnet into your computer from another one, with another username
  (you may login with your username from a virtual console as well
  but the demonstration will be more general the other way)
- from there type this:

    export DISPLAY=:0 && while : ; do xmessage "do you catch it?" ; done

If Redhat 6.0 allows this without an xhost call being needed, this is
a security breach they [have fixed already|will fix soon], not a
comfortable feature.

And if you're asked to create a non privileged user at install time it's
in hope you'll remember to login as such a user and "su" only when needed.
Instead of happily work your everyday X session as root, like any Windoze

Kind regards,

Yann

--
Yann-Erick Proy      --  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Quartz Informatique  --  http://www.quartz.fr/  --  Annecy (F-74000)

La diversité est source de richesse.