On tor, 25 nov 1999, you wrote:
> :~>And if you're asked to create a non privileged user at install time it's
> :~>in hope you'll remember to login as such a user and "su" only when needed.
> :~>Instead of happily work your everyday X session as root, like any Windoze
> :~>bozo... ;-)))
>
> "su"-ing in an x-term will get you to exactly the kind of the situation
> that you start wanting to allow access to X... I suppose there must be
> some good way to allow it, but until someone comes with anything better,
> how about slogin? You will probably need slogin anyway, and you can always
> restrict the logins from "outside" to localhost (in host.allow/deny) if
> you do not need to connect from outside. Running ssh-daemon is simple, and
> as a bonus you get the DISPLAY set up for you authomatically.
>
> I have ssh-demon running everywhere, and use "su" very seldomly - it is
> very convenient, although an overkill for a single machine.

Sounds interesting. I'm quite obsessed with security (had a boss who used to
check my history file in Netscape on the windows box at work), and I'm in the
process of setting up a Linux internet server/gateway. So far, I have decided
to deactivate the normal telnet and reroute it to a PacketRadio BBS system
running as a normal user and only allow SSH connects to the machine itself.

/Jocke!
--

    ....... The free UNIX operating system