Sergio Korlowsky wrote:

> Civileme wrote:
>
> > David Hart wrote:

> > >         While the fact that the detection can't be disabled truly sucks, I
> > > wouldn't get too paranoid yet. Installing win95 with bios virus detection
> > > enabled has crashed the installs for me. Haven't tried with 98, but I suspect
> > > the same may be true. I also seem to remember some issues with bios virus
> > > detection and the NT boot loader and/or installation.....
> > >
> > >  --
> > > David Hart
> > > Vincity Design
> > > *Proudly sent from Linux Mandrake 6.1*
> >
> > It doesn't stop me from using LILO, but it does say LILO is a virus.
> >
> > If you were a newbie using this computer for the first time after installing
> > Linux, having been running 95 or 98 for a while, and you saw these "scare
> > tactics", what would your reaction be?
> >
> > I can boot into Linux just fine.  I still get this message and two screens to
> > negotiate every time I start up that warns me I have a virus in my boot sector.
> >
> > Expect to see rumors in chat rooms by the folks using mIRC that Linux is loaded
> > with hostile viruses, fuelked by experiences like these.  We can hope such rumors
> > will backfire, of course.
> >
> > Civileme
>
> What is the name brand in your BIOS...:   just curious   hmmm
> American Megatrends and most all Bios have the 'option'
> to turn it on or off.
>
> How about replacing the Bios chip?
>
> Sergio Korlowsky

It was AMI and the routine to turn it off had been skipped with a JMP.  I replaced the
JMP with the appropriate number of NOPs and flashed the dumb thing and I am OK.  Of
course I should not have had to undo their rather lame attempt at foolproofing.
AFAIK, there are two engineering solutions to foolproofing computers.

1. Don't build it.
2. Keep the fools, including me, away from it. :-}

Replacement? Well, this board has built-in AGP video and sound...  Rather special

Take Care,

Civileme