Ramon Gandia wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 1999,  Denis Havlik wrote:
>
> > :>Try turning off the virus detection in your BIOS. (hellloooo!!) ;)
> >
> > On the other hand, he IS right - noone should cry VIRUS for LILO. Making
> > some BAD publicity for those who do it could help.
>
> What most of these BIOS boot sector antiviruses do is
> do a checksum of the bootsector.  They can detect if there
> has been a change.  If it has changed, a virus is assumed.
> I am surprised there is no way to allow for a boot sector
> change.  A lot of things can go in the bootsector besides
> LILO or the Win95 boot:  Win NT boot is different, so
> is System Commander and other boot utilities.  I would
> be quite surprised if this BIOS did not have a way to
> cope with it.  Maybe you ought to look at the BIOS code
> yourself (and modify it with the flash utility).  8086
> BIOS code is not hard to figure out.
>
> --
> Ramon Gandia ============= Sysadmin ============== Nook Net
> http://www.nook.net                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 285 West First Avenue                     tel. 907-443-7575
> P.O. Box 970                              fax. 907-443-2487
> Nome, Alaska 99762-0970 ==== Alaska Toll Free. 888-443-7525

Well...  here the responsable is the BIOS manufacturer, he decides what goes
in his code...
He can be contacted and explained the situation, we are counted by the
millions (WE linux users)
and can choose not to use their products.  ;-)

Sergio Korlowsky
Compucell Comm.

Ramon... were you in the Oeilly list long time ago? I remember your name...
;-)