Hi again.

SO saga goes on...

:~>> Could you elaborate on this? I have home-directories automounted and the
:~>> damn thing did not want to do a user-instalation for users whose dirs
:~>> reside on an older RH 5.x machine.
:~>
:~>When you say 'automounted' do you refer to the activities of the automount
:~>demon, or are you just simply telling me that your /etc/fstab entries cause
:~>those mounts automatically during booting?

I am refering to the "autofs". I have several machines here - most of them
with Mandrake 6.1, one still has RedHat 5.x on it. "home" is always
exported to a whole NIS group and mounted on request as "/homes/MACHINE".

StarOffice is installed everywhere (as /net install), and if I try the
"user instalation" it works as long as the users home directory is not
exported from the RedHat 5.x machine.

:~>You seem to be doing some kind of user-installation involving two machines?

Yup

:~>The knfs restriction appears when eg root is trying to access a partition
:~>which is mounted on a remote machine.     Navigation is stopped dead at the
:~>mount point on the remote machine.      This problem is easily overcome if
:~>the mount point is exported by the remote machine and connected to directly.

Umpf. I did not get this. OK. So I have a machine "A" and machine "B".

I am sitting in front of the machien "A", and trying to access /homes/B,
which is a autofs-mounted home directory from the "B" machine. Now what?

In my expirience, "navigating" over "/homes/" or "/homes/B" causes no
trouble at all. The problem I see is that I cannot even start StarOffice
if machine "B" is running some kind of Redhat 5.x system (2.0.? kernel).
 I can post you exact versions of all the relevant programs, if you think
that could be of any use...

cu
        Denis
Mag. Denis Havlik  <http://www.ap.univie.ac.at/users/havlik>
University of Vienna    |||     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Austria                (@ @)       tel: (++431) 4277/51179