On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:

> thanks for the tips, but i don't see how it can possibly be hardware.  a
> stock 7mdk kernel builds from source and runs fine.  a stock 22mdk kernel
> fails with a compiler assertion (NOTE: NOT a SEGV!)  the assertion is due
> to something that makes complete sense.

I already posted this, but I guess I'll repeat it in case you missed it...
it may help you figure out what's wrong.
I upgraded from 7mdk to 22mdk with the update util. Didn't to any extra
compilation, only updated and reinstalled lilo.
After rebooting, everything appeared to go fine until I tried to run
VmWare. VmWare complained that it wasn't configured to run on the current
kernel and that I should reconfig (which sounded logical to me). However,
when it tried to recompile its modules based on the kernel headers in
/usr/src/linux/include, it barfed and complained that there was a "slight
difference of configuration" between the headers and the actual compiled
kernel.
I figure that since you tried to do some extra compiling after you
installed the kernel, you may have run into the same problem. I figure
I'll have to recompile from scratch so that my kernel matches my
headers... if you can figure out some other way, please let me know.

DvB