I downloaded the user reference manuals for the Compaq Armada E700 and M700

Their modems, whether network or standard models, are DSP types off a
house-numbered US Robotics Chipset.

Expect very poor performance more than a mile from the telephone co central
office.  Expect performance equivalent to a 33.6 hardware modem on a 56K  service.
Expect more dropped signals and failures and freezes (especially when the modem
software is swapped out to disk).  But what you have is without any doubt a
winmodem and runs with special software in Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows NT.
There is a linmodem project to reverse engineer these very cheap devices which are
NOT true modems, but only for computer based telephony applications.

If you want a modem for your COMPAQ that works, a PCMCIA or an external should be
OK.  With the PCMCIA type, be sure it will work with DOS.

Your intewrnal modem uses COM2 (ttys1) and IRQ 11 so a setserial instruction would
be necessary to recognize it if it would actually work under linux, which it will
not.

The real losers from this Cheap winmodem practice are the consumers.  They demand
56K service from their ISPs, and are basically unable to use it.  I have an old
Hayes jumperable 56K and I have 16 computers connected through that single dialup.
I could never have done that with a winmodem.

Civileme

--
*Behold the new and friendly face of world domination*