Jan Rocho wrote:

> Ok, I could exchange it but would the ISA version of the Zoom 2925 work? They
> also had that modem when I got this one.

No, its still a WinModem model.  You need a real modem.
Keep this in mind:

1. With two minor exceptions (very hard to find), ALL PCI modems
   are WinModems.  This should be a red flag for you.
PCI=WINMODEM.

2. There are plenty of ISA WinModems.

3. ALL Externals are non-Winmodems; ie, they will work with Linux.

4. Rockwell chipset modems are the junkiest, the cheapest, and the
   most likely to give poor performance.  The Rockwell chipset is
   the ones that manufacturers put in bargain PC's.  Another name
   for the Rockwell chipset is CONNEXANT.  There are plenty of
   modems that have Rockwell chipsets, but are not WinModems.
Thse
   work under Linux, but my comments on Rockwell stands.  They are
   not very good.

5. You will find that the vast majority of Modems manufactured
today
   are Rockwell WinModems.  There are two excpetions to this
general
   rule.

        a. US Robotics modems.  Use X2/V90 technology.  This chipset
           is also made by Texas Instruments.  There are both
WinModems
           and conventional internal/externals in this product
line,
           so be careful you do not end up with the WinModem.  The
           largest user of the USR WinModem is Gateway 2000.

           I only know of two manufacturers of good modems with
           this chipset, although there may be others.  US
Robotics
           (3COM) Makes internal and external Sporster in 33.6K
and
           56K, both in data/fax or data/fax/voice.  The other is
           PhoebeMicro.  Their modems are sold by
www.hitech-usa.com.
           The modems in question are the CM1456VQH-X (internal,
ISA)
           and the CM1456VQE-X (external).  These retail for about
           $43 and $51 respectively, and are essentially identical
           in performance and software to the U.S.R.  In fact, the
           USR Windows 95 drivers work fine with them.  They use
the
           TI Chipset, and are licensed by USR.  One third the
price
           of USR.  Recommended.

           But be careful if you get the Phoebe, and make sure you
           get the proper part number.  They also make a lot of
           Rockwell Junk and WinModems.  They also sell Cirrus
           chipset modems, which are even Junkier.  But those two
           above are EXCELLENT modems.

        b. Lucent Technologies makes chipsets.  They also make an
           LT WinModem which you want to avoid.  Also, the LT
WinModem
           has had a driver written for it under Linux.  It does
not
           work very well yet, nor does anyone expect it to, but
it
           is there.  One nice thing about the LT modems is that
           there is only one driver involved, regardless of whom
the
           modem OEM is.  Unlike Rockwell, for which you need your
           particular driver from Compaq, HP, IBM etc., LT just
has
           one driver fits all.  A year ago they were junk, but
           nowadays, they are not too bad for WinModems.

           There are VERY FEW Lucent chipset modems that are not
           WinModem, so my advice is to avoid them unless you are
           sure, like if it is external.

It is getting very hard to find modems that are not WinModems.  In
a typical retail store, your only choice seems to be the USR/3COM
Sporster, internal or external at prices ranging from $110 - $170.
The advent of Junky Rockewell WinModems has created a tremendous
demand for decent modems, and the law of supply and demand has
jacked
the price on the USR's up.  This is why I recommend the Phoebe.
As far as I can tell, its the same modem for one third the
dollars.

--
Ramon Gandia ============= Sysadmin ============== Nook Net
http://www.nook.net                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]