Jan Rocho wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Im kinda afraid Microsoft is really taking over the PC. When I got this PC the
> Soundcard wasn't working on Linux, the modem wasn't and the network card isn't.
> Also Windows somehow automagicly removed my Linux partitions after I installed
> that the first time, I don't know why. But now it seems to be working ok. I still
> need to get a network card which works with Linux  (do you know a good one which
> works with Linux?) but all the other stuff is working now.
> I didn't have a problem finding an ISA Zoom Modem, they have them at our local
> Bestbuy right next to the
> Winmodems.
> First I was really depressed when nothing worked with Linux and I thought about
> exchange this one with a Sparc Ultra 5 or something with Solaris but now since I
> exchanged the modem and soundcard everything should be working now.
>
> Jan

Windows probably just hid your partition because otherwise you'd have
two primary bootables (a no-no).

Linux likes cards because of their chipset -- look for Tulip, or NE2000
ISA if you're on a <$20 budget. NetGear and Kingston make decent Tulip
cards. (Note that decent for me means it configures quickly and works
and never stops working -- if you want a flaming fast card with fancy
bus-mastering et al, these cards are relatively slow).
--
  Linux: because you can't do a sig like this in Windows.
 10:22am  up 19 days, 17:06,  2 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.25, 0.41