Jan Rocho wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Im kinda afraid Microsoft is really taking over the PC. When I got this PC the
> Soundcard wasn't working on Linux, the modem wasn't and the network card isn't.
> Also Windows somehow automagicly removed my Linux partitions after I installed
> that the first time, I don't know why. But now it seems to be working ok. I still
> need to get a network card which works with Linux  (do you know a good one which
> works with Linux?) but all the other stuff is working now.
> I didn't have a problem finding an ISA Zoom Modem, they have them at our local
> Bestbuy right next to the
> Winmodems.
> First I was really depressed when nothing worked with Linux and I thought about
> exchange this one with a Sparc Ultra 5 or something with Solaris but now since I
> exchanged the modem and soundcard everything should be working now.
>
> Jan
>
> > Jan Rocho wrote:
> > >
> > > Ok, I could exchange it but would the ISA version of the Zoom 2925 work? They
> > > also had that modem when I got this one.
> > >

> > No, its still a WinModem model.  You need a real modem.
> > Keep this in mind:
> >
> > 1. With two minor exceptions (very hard to find), ALL PCI modems
> >    are WinModems.  This should be a red flag for you.
> > PCI=WINMODEM.
> >
> > 2. There are plenty of ISA WinModems.
> >
> > 3. ALL Externals are non-Winmodems; ie, they will work with Linux.

All externals working on a legacy serial port are non-winmodems.  Software modems
working on the USB are starting to appear, so even external is no longer a
guarantee.  And we can expect confusion to worsen as kernel 2.4 will have
USB support.

4. Rockwell chipset modems are the junkiest, the cheapest, and the

> >    most likely to give poor performance.  The Rockwell chipset is
> >    the ones that manufacturers put in bargain PC's.  Another name
> >    for the Rockwell chipset is CONNEXANT.  There are plenty of
> >    modems that have Rockwell chipsets, but are not WinModems.
> > Thse
> >    work under Linux, but my comments on Rockwell stands.  They are
> >    not very good.

PCTel does an authentic copy of a genuine imitation of the HCF chipset even more
abysmal in performance than Rockwell, but those folks are supplying LINUX software
drivers for their terrible modems.  Yes there are Linmodems, and some are on
Motherboards.  Notwithstanding the fact that there is a new player even lower than
Rockwell, Ramon's comments are very correct.  I do believe one of the companies
jumping on the linux bandwagon is marketing an appliance computer for less than $350
running Debian, (supposedly to be updated through a web site which has been "coming
soon" since August) and expandable to a 500MHz Pentium III  (It runs a Celeron 366
and a PCTel Modem).

> [...]

> > line,
> >            so be careful you do not end up with the WinModem.  The
> >            largest user of the USR WinModem is Gateway 2000.
> >
> >            I only know of two manufacturers of good modems with
> >            this chipset, although there may be others.  US
> > Robotics
> >            (3COM) Makes internal and external Sporster in 33.6K
> > and
> >            56K, both in data/fax or data/fax/voice.  The other is
> >            PhoebeMicro.  Their modems are sold by
> > www.hitech-usa.com.
> >            The modems in question are the CM1456VQH-X (internal,
> > ISA)
> >            and the CM1456VQE-X (external).  These retail for about
> >            $43 and $51 respectively, and are essentially identical
> >            in performance and software to the U.S.R.  In fact, the
> >            USR Windows 95 drivers work fine with them.  They use
> > the
> >            TI Chipset, and are licensed by USR.  One third the
> > price
> >            of USR.  Recommended.
> >
> >            But be careful if you get the Phoebe, and make sure you
> >            get the proper part number.  They also make a lot of
> >            Rockwell Junk and WinModems.  They also sell Cirrus
> >            chipset modems, which are even Junkier.  But those two
> >            above are EXCELLENT modems.
> >
> >         b. Lucent Technologies makes chipsets.  They also make an
> >            LT WinModem which you want to avoid.  Also, the LT
> > WinModem
> >            has had a driver written for it under Linux.  It does
> > not
> >            work very well yet, nor does anyone expect it to, but
> > it
> >            is there.  One nice thing about the LT modems is that
> >            there is only one driver involved, regardless of whom
> > the
> >            modem OEM is.  Unlike Rockwell, for which you need your
> >            particular driver from Compaq, HP, IBM etc., LT just
> > has
> >            one driver fits all.  A year ago they were junk, but
> >            nowadays, they are not too bad for WinModems.
> >
> >            There are VERY FEW Lucent chipset modems that are not
> >            WinModem, so my advice is to avoid them unless you are
> >            sure, like if it is external.
> >
> > It is getting very hard to find modems that are not WinModems.  In
> > a typical retail store, your only choice seems to be the USR/3COM
> > Sporster, internal or external at prices ranging from $110 - $170.
> > The advent of Junky Rockewell WinModems has created a tremendous
> > demand for decent modems, and the law of supply and demand has
> > jacked
> > the price on the USR's up.  This is why I recommend the Phoebe.
> > As far as I can tell, its the same modem for one third the
> > dollars.
> >
> > --
> > Ramon Gandia ============= Sysadmin ============== Nook Net
> > http://www.nook.net                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > 285 West First Avenue                     tel. 907-443-7575
> > P.O. Box 970                              fax. 907-443-2487

Now on the matter of Network cards--find a cheap hunk of junk PCI running on the
Realtek Chipset and you will have no problem.  In fact, I am rather surprised that
your network card didn't work.  What card do you have?  It might actually wirk if
you name the right driver.

Civileme

--
*Behold the new and friendly face of world domination*