This is the problem of every ISP, and I haven't found a way around it yet.
But it's on my work schedule.

NIS is not secure, because it lets you "ypcat" the /etc/shadow file,
unless you make big modifications to it. In other words, don't even think
about it.

Radius authentification would be doable under PAM. The problem is, you
still need /etc/password to get the location of the users directories. It
would be okay for mail though.

On my systems, I had to heavily modify Radius to accept the expiration
date in the shadow file, and to check is the shell is in /etc/shells, to
give access to mail only and not dialup for some users. Radius lacks many
features unfortunately...

There is a "passwdd" software on freshmeat that lets you synchronize
password files. I haven't had the time to check it out yet. If you do try
it, i'd like to get your comments about it.

I remember seeing a Radius module for PAM, but I don't remember where I
saw it. Anyways, you'd still have problems with the users directory...

Jean-Michel Dault
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]