From: Klaus Peter Elsner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2000 7:19 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [expert] ISDN ? !

Hi
after trying to get an answer inside newbie I'l hope here is the better
place ..

I've tried to install ISDN for a few ! days and now I found it a bit boring
=:-( without any help
I use MD 6.1 ; have got a CD for testing befor bying a few and deciding to
use it at some schools in Berlin.

A MUST is ISDN connection.

I found an "kisdn-1.0.1_2-mdk6-kde-1.1.i386.rpm"  but it seems to
be bad. I got an error installing the rpm saying couldn't access. OK no
problem..

By downloading I only found an Kisdn_1.1.......... package ( no mdk Version!
)
The above couldn't be found  at MD nor RedHat.
I installed the newer. It seems to work until I want to get an connection.

I only get an error after "ifconfig ippp0 up" that  "dialing of ippp0
failed"
So, what's wrong ?

After reading a much I learned ? that there will be installed a
"ioptions.ippp0" out of the "ioptions" file
together with some other files.
I couldn't find any ioptions.ippp0 file!

I tested the IPPP0 dev with isdnctrl list ippp0 -> everyline seems to be ok
"isdnctrl dial ippp0" brings up the same error msg.

What I found ( or better not found ) are the scripts / files mentioned in
some docs  ( shure I read all I reached )
at /etc/isdn  and /etc/ppp. As I know there have to be a few pointing to
ippp0. I can't find any. only the defaults

is it possible that MD uses an other way to save their scripts and running
isdn?

To see if  I'm running into hardware trouble I installed another Linux.

Hardware has been tested ( with SUSE Linux -> installed and ready to go! It
works as it has to do) !!!!
Hisax shows the same EA ; IRQ  ;... like the one installed at MD.

Questions:
is there an other way to test the ISDN calling by hand  as I 've done with
into ippp0 and then using "isdnctrl dial ippp0"?

Who has a running ISDN connection?
Who is willing to help me?

( please don't write " Why don't you use SUSE if you had it up and go ?! " I
want to UNDERSTAND why
it's ( not ) running! so please help (if you can)

Bye Peter

Tel:     +49 (30) 742 61 10
Fax:    +49 (30) 743 750 02
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]