Here is my setup.

PC: Compaq Armada 7800 with P2-300mhz, 128 MB memory, Floppy and DVD-rom
(but no both at the same time), and Mandrak v7.0 (second ISO)

The drive layout is the same on both system.

/dev/hda.  One pri-part with W2k,  one ext. part which contains the Linux
partions Swap, /boot, /home and /.  All Linux part are using extfs2
(default Linux filsystem) except swap which uses the Linux swap filsystem.

I have found the problem to be related the to Compaq Armada setup.  This
laptop has one removable bay, which contains either the floppydrive or the
DVD-ROM drive.  Both drive are made real by the hardware, and when Linux
boot it find both the floppydrive and the DVD-rom.  It will find them both
also if non of them is present.    Normally I have the DVD rom present.

When I removed the floppydisk mount from /etc/fstab, it all worked ok.

So it seems to me that using supermount on devices that are not there (they
are made virtuall by the hardware), is not a good idea.  But I think that
this is an error in how the suportmount functions work.  Why should
programs like rpm and the Citrix ICA client be affected by suportmount on
directory /mnt/floppy (or /mnt/A as I called it).    Do these programs make
a scan of the local devices (maybe Citrix ICA client does, but rpm ...?)

Here is my fstab file.

/dev/hda2 /mnt/C vfat user,exec,conv=binary 0 0
/dev/hda5 /boot ext2 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hda7 /home ext2 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda8 / ext2 noatime 1 1
#/dev/fd0 /mnt/A auto user,exec,conv=binary 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/CD supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0

Regards

Oystein Hermansen

Axalon Bloodstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 09.02.2000 05:07:18

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]