Here's a interesting snip after running "fdisk /dev/hdb".

<clip>
The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1247. There is
nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024, and could
in certain setups cause problems with: 1) software that runs at
boot time (e.g., LILO) 2) booting and partitioning software from
other OSs    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
Error } hdb: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=15390270, sector=15390270 end_request: I/O error, dev
03:40 (hdb), sector 15390270
Unable to read /dev/hdb
</clip>

This is a WD 10GB drive, EIDE btw.  I also tried fdisk from
Win98,
and it wouldn't do anything but hang forever.  Personally, I
think
it's hosed.  Any ideas welcome.  Just a FYI, but I've tried all
of
the normal things, like making it a primary, cable, power, and
even
a new motherboard. (I was going to upgrade soon anyway;)

Regards,

Dana