On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> Here's a interesting snip after running "fdisk /dev/hdb".
>
> <clip>
> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1247. There is
> nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024, and could
> in certain setups cause problems with: 1) software that runs at
> boot time (e.g., LILO) 2) booting and partitioning software from
> other OSs    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
> hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
> Error } hdb: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
> LBAsect=15390270, sector=15390270 end_request: I/O error, dev
> 03:40 (hdb), sector 15390270
> Unable to read /dev/hdb
> </clip>
>
> This is a WD 10GB drive, EIDE btw.

WD is wonderful about taking back bad ones...  They have a DOS-based disk
utility for testing that might show some information, downloadable from their
site, and some techs that love to discover the output of that program over the
phone.  I remember a 3G which would not work in almost identical fashion to this
and their test utility read it as an 8.4G  (yeppers, the wrong info chip on the
i/f board)  They took a credit card number overt the phone, sent a brand new 4G
to replace it and gave me 30 days for the old one to get back before charging my
card.

Of course, my preference is that they build them right the first time, but few
companies are into that quality mentality yet.  At least they know how to treat
customers.

Civileme

I also tried fdisk from