I'm not sure about the status of a logical volume
manager for linux (I know one is/was in development)
but with an LVM you can resize any volume or
stretch it over multiple disks/paritions. Under
linux however you may have to format to do the initial
setup. Not sure, under HP-UX and some other UNIX's you
don't.

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> > Okay I have seen a zillion ways to do this over
> > the last couple of years and read hundreds of lines
> > of mans, howto's, and email's, HOWEVER;
> >
> > I will ask this list for pointers again !
> >
> > My / 3 gig partition is full. I have created another
> > ext2 fs of 2 gigs on the same HD. How do I merge it into
> > The present / so that after reboot (I guess that would be
> > necessary?) The new / partition would contain 5 gigs?

"Definitions involving chicken heads no longer apply."
  -Jon katz