On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> > whois <ipaddress>@whois.arin.net
> > Internic doesn't maintain a return address lookup
> > directory. They only maintain the NAME lookup. i.e., you
> > can lookup "linux-mandrake.com" but you can't lookup
> > 216.71.116.161 at internic (or more properly
> > networksolutions.com) and find out that the IP address in
> > question translates to www.linux-mandrake.com.
>
> if you enter this command at a unix prompt...
>     host linux-mandrake.com
> you get this result...
>     linux-mandrake.com is 216.71.116.161

Yep. But, that's querying YOUR (ISPs) DNS server. Try typing "host
216.71.116.161"  I get "host not found." The original question
someone asked was how to get the hostname from the ip address. They
were trying "whois" which defaults to whois.internic.net (at least
here in North America.) That won't work for getting a hostname from
an IP address... you have to use whois.arin.net for converting an IP
address back to a hostname. :-)
        John