I'm running a fairly clean install of Mandrake 6.0 on my old p-166.
If I open more than a few windows in Navigator 4.6 it can bring the
whole system down with constant HD activity. It effectively ties up all
resources-- I can't kill KDE or switch to another terminal.
Last time this happened I did a hardware reset and trashed everything
fairly thoroughly, hence the fairly clean install!
This time I managed to telnet from my windows box, but the system was so
tied up it took several minutes to connect and present me with a login
prompt so I could reboot.
This has happened before with Netscape 4.7 so I don't think an upgrade
will help.
It seems to happen most readily on pages using Java. Other than
disabling Java is there any common fix?
        Thanks,

        Gene
...still wishing for Mozilla or Opera to be ready...