I've already solved my own problem.

The version of cdrecord and/or mkisofs in the Mandrake 7.0
distribution is broken.  I used the versions included with "scdbackup"
and they work just fine.

I must say that this is just one of a NUMBER  of reasons why I like the
mailing list a lot but I never plan to install another Mandrake
distibution again.

The best distribution, IMHO, BTW, is Caldera's OpenLinux; as soon as
they come out with an X 3.3.6+ -based distribution I'll be switching
back . . . though I wish that I could get a Pentium-optimized
distribution that I liked . . .

[Actually, I like FreeBSD even better but it doesn't support vmware or
the Sparq drive, and I'm afraid that's fatal.]

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:
| As a first try, you might want to try giving the -force option and see
| whether that works for you.
|
| But, once again, as seems to happen so often on this list, a topic
| comes up just as I am about to bring up the subject myself.  I am
| having some severe problems with writing CDs under Mandrake 7.0; thye
| are coming out corrupt!
|
| This is a bit distressing since I have been, and intended to continue,
| using CD-ROMs as my primary backup medium.  But yesterday I discovered
| that although cdrecord thinks that it has succeeeded, the actual
| contents of the CDs tend to be corrupt, and if I turn around and "cmp"
| a long binary file that I write with cdrecord, it's corrupt.
|
| This did not happen with RedHat 6.1.
|
| I should admit up front that, as a result of problems documented
| earlier in the list, I've built my own kernel, but I built it in
| exactly the same way that I had built it under RedHat 6.1, so I believe
| that the situation is comparable.  And I'm burning the same kids of
| CDs, at the same speed, on the same hardware, as I was under RedHat.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| [bts@i7500 hero]# mkisofs hc.zip | cdrecord dev=0,0 speed=4 -
| Cdrecord release 1.8a29 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
| scsidev: '0,0'
| scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
| Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
| Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
| Version        : 0
| Response Format: 1
| Vendor_info    : 'MATSHITA'
| Identifikation : 'UJDA310         '
| Revision       : '1.32'
| Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
| Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
| Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
| cdrecord: WARNING: Track size unknown. Data may not fit on disk.
| Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in write mode for single session.
| Last chance to quit, starting real write in 9 seconds.Total extents actually written
|= 1062
| Total translation table size: 0
| Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
| Total directory bytes: 0
| Path table size(bytes): 10
| Max brk space used 3000
| 1062 extents written (2 Mb)                                           1 seconds.
|
| WARNING: padding up to secsize.
| Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 2174993/2177024 (1063 sectors).
| [bts@i7500 hero]# mount /E
| [bts@i7500 hero]# cmp hc.zip /E/hc.zip
| hc.zip /E/hc.zip differ: char 983041, line 3746
|

| On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, you wrote:
| | Hi,
| |
| | I'm just doing my first steps in cd-burning.
| : <snip>
| |     # cdrecord blank=all dev=4,0
| |
| | Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in write mode for single session.
| | Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1 seconds.
| |
| | It starts working but after a *long* time I get this final verdict:
| |
| | cdrecord: I/O-Error. blank unit: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
| | CDB:  A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
| | status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
| | Sense Bytes: F0 00 03 00 04 2C 6C 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 07 00 00
| | Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
| | Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x07 (write error - recovery needed) Fru 0x0
| | Sense flags: Blk 273516 (valid)
| | cmd finished after 1914.743s timeout 9600s
| | cdrecord: Cannot blank disk, aborting.
| |
| | Is it a matter of medium? I use BASF (silver/silver) CD-RW 650M / 74 Min
| |
| | How can I use CD-RWs with cdrecord so I can blank and reuse them?
| |