Perhaps an incompatibility, then, but simply using different versions
oof those two problems fixes the problem.

The mkisofs that works is 1.12b3 (based on the "-v" flag)
the cdrecord is 1.53 (based on the "strings" info).

I can try doing mkisofs to the loopback device if it's of interest to
you.

--
I am "Brian, the man from babble-on" (Brian T. Schellenberger).
I can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED] .