Well, th installer doesn't always make the best choices.

An FIC PAG 2130 using the MVP4 Chipset installed smoothly under 6.1, but
required considerable tweaking under 7.0.

The install proceeded smoothly to X server--then it said

640x480 @ 16 bpp and drew in kernel-fb.  I sensed something amiss since 6.1
had just installed XFree86_SVGA and set up for the embedded Cyberblade, but I
decided I would test what DrakConf could do.

I ran the XConfig from Drakconf and managed to get it to load XFree86_SVGA and
then the test failed (of course), but I told it to remember the changes.  I
could have used KPackage or rpm and run Xconfigurator or XF86Setup, but I
wanted to see how far I could get using the GUI supplied.

Now for some thinking--kernel-fb was supplying the video that worked and SVGA
seemed to suggest I could restore the 1024x768 at 32 bpp I was using before.
So I needed to be booting the regular kernel.  I went to linuxconf and chose
LILO linux configuration and switched to the other one, quit linuxconf, ran
/sbin/lilo from an alt-f2 command line, logged out and rebooted.

It worked!   But I shudder to think what a newbie will do with that situation.

Now the only difficulty I have left is that it keeps making the wrong decisions
about my Ensoniq PCI Audio card (1370) and I have to work around the
installation wizard (and perhaps kill kudzu, I am not sure).  RIght now, it is
thoroughly trashing my sound file before I even get a chance to try to install
sound.  And if I do install it successfully, it is changed on the next reboot.

This is almost like fighting a win98 install wizard--y'know the one that pops
up to say "No, No, No, I have to detect that!" after you are running a manual
install because it failed to detect whatever it was.  The important difference
is that there IS something you CAN do about it.

Civileme