Andrew Vick wrote:

> Sort of related...
>
> I've got Mandrake 7.0 running on a Gateway with a Phillips 2/2/4 CD-RW, and
> for me it's not detecting the CD drive.  At all.  When I try to mount it, it
> gives me an error,
> "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device" and that the driver is not
> installed.
>
> The history:
> I installed Mandrake 7 from a CD.  It went in resonably smoothly, the
> installer had no trouble that it was running from a CD.  As it was booting up,
> the hardware detector told me that the CD drive was misconfigured.  I told it
> to ignore it the first few times, but then decided to let it uninstall it; I
> was hoping it would reinstall it on the next boot.  It didn't.  So I tried
> reinstalling Mandrake (from a CD again), but that did not get the cd drive
> back.  In my /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, the CD drive has the following entry:
>
> class: CDROM
> bus: IDE
> detached: 0
> device: hdd
> driver: ignore
> desc: "R/RW 4x4x24"
>
> and in fstab:
>
> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0
>
> Can anyone suggest any HOW-TOs, man pages, friendly people I should refer to
> in order to fix the problem?  Thanks for your help.
>
> -Andrew Vick
>
> >===== Original Message From [EMAIL PROTECTED] =====
> >Well, th installer doesn't always make the best choices.
> >

> >Civileme

Well, install again and DON'T use supermount.  Now if you are using this as both
a burner and a cdrom drive, there are various informations in the archives.  You
want to put an

append=ide-scsi

in lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo

and in /etc/conf.modules
alias block-major-11 ide-scsi

Then let /etc/fstab have the cdrom as

/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrw auto ...(same as your line)

the ide-scsi module will make your device look like a scsi so cdrecord and
xcdroast can see it properly, but now since it looks like a scsi drive,
/etc/fstab worn't be making sense of the hard-link to /dev/hdx (whichecver one it
was)  Supermount adds to the problems considerably, or so say users on this list
and cooker who have been trying it.

You might also want to right-click on the cdrom icon and select "properties" and
give it the new pointer.

In windows, the CDRW is sometimes treated as a slow HDD which is unfortunate.
The "tracks" on a CDRW are however long they happen to be from the files written
to them, and you can blank and rewrite only by CD-RW or by track, so the fine
tuning of data changes relevant to HDD operation are not there without a lot of
work.

Anyway, since that barrier existed, the assumption was that most folk will have a
CD or DVD to read from and a burner to burn with.  To make the burner also be a
reader was and is possible but doesn't seem to have been in the design assumption
set, thus it it is a minor bit of extra work.

The kernel doesn't cover the bet for making bootdisks (as floppies) from LS120s
either, but that is another story.  I haven't put a floppy drive into a machine
for some time because the low price of current floppies has made the quality less
than desirable, and I was finding that after about 6 months service it was easily
possible to write a floppy from one computer and not be able to read same floppy
on one or more other computers.  Cleaning did not improve the situation...  only
adjustment requiring precision instruments and costing more in labor than the
price of the floppy was any help at all.

Civileme