Andrew Vick wrote:

> Sort of related...
>
> I've got Mandrake 7.0 running on a Gateway with a Phillips 2/2/4 CD-RW, and
> for me it's not detecting the CD drive.  At all.  When I try to mount it, it
> gives me an error,
> "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device" and that the driver is not
> installed.
>
> The history:
> I installed Mandrake 7 from a CD.  It went in resonably smoothly, the
> installer had no trouble that it was running from a CD.  As it was booting up,
> the hardware detector told me that the CD drive was misconfigured.  I told it
> to ignore it the first few times, but then decided to let it uninstall it; I
> was hoping it would reinstall it on the next boot.  It didn't.  So I tried
> reinstalling Mandrake (from a CD again), but that did not get the cd drive
> back.  In my /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, the CD drive has the following entry:
>
> class: CDROM
> bus: IDE
> detached: 0
> device: hdd
> driver: ignore
> desc: "R/RW 4x4x24"
>
> and in fstab:
>
> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0
>
> Can anyone suggest any HOW-TOs, man pages, friendly people I should refer to
> in order to fix the problem?  Thanks for your help.
>
> -Andrew Vick
>
> >===== Original Message From [EMAIL PROTECTED] =====
> >Well, th installer doesn't always make the best choices.
> >

> >Civileme

Deja vu - we've just been through a lot of this haven't we?

Mandrake has recognised that your CDrom is in fact a CD-rw  and therefore the ide
drivers are not correct. It should have added an append line in lilo.conf to set
the ide-scsi translation. It should also have created a symbolic link from the cd
to scsi cd  - something like    ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom   - but probably
pointed hd? to it instead.

That should get you reading the cd's - when I get mine writing I'll tell you
how!!!

Trevor