John....actually, windows is on another scsi drive, but dos is
not, it's on the same drive.  I agree that the error doesn't
sound right, which is why I emailed Tom about it, here's his
reply:

Um... probably you have filetype features in use on the
filesystem.

I have a kernel that will fix it, the next time I upload one it
will
work.  I suppose if you could turn off the filetype support in
the
filesystem, I dunno whether the circumstances are worth it for
you.

If you really want a tomsrtbt that supports it, you could just
build
one with 2.2.x instead of 2.0.x.  I have a special patch for
2.0.x
for it, but I haven't built it yet.

-Tom

So I figured I'd bugged him enough and instead, just sit here
wondering what filesystem features I have inadvertantly turned
on?!

Alan