Here's my fstab, I'm running Mandrake 7.02

/dev/sda1       /mnt/DOS_sda1   vfat    user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/sda5       /mnt/DOS_sda5   vfat    user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/hda1       /mnt/DOS_hda1   vfat    user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/hda5       /mnt/DOS_hda5   vfat    user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/hda6       /mnt/DOS_hda6   vfat    user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/hda7       /mnt/DOS_hda7   vfat    user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/hda8       /mnt/DOS_hda8   vfat    user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/hda9       /mnt/DOS_hda9   vfat    user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
/dev/hdb1       /boot           ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb5       /usr            ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb6       /usr/local      ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb7       /home           ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb8       /usr/src        ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb9       swap_upgrade    swap    defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb10      /var            ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb11      /tmp            ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb12      /opt            ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb13      /               ext2    defaults 1 1
/dev/hdc        /mnt/ls120      vfat    user,exec,nodev,nosuid,rw,noauto
0 0
/mnt/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      supermount
fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/mnt/floppy     /mnt/floppy     supermount      fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
none            /proc           proc    defaults 0 0
none            /dev/pts        devpts  mode=0620 0 0

If nothing else works, try my ol'faithful.... re-install.
What does "dmesg" tell you about your floppy ??  It's possible that your
BIOS and OS are not in sync.

Ramon Gandia wrote:

> Dale Morris wrote:
> >
> > I first posted this to the Newbie list, but got no reply. Hopefully, someone
> > here can help.
> > I just decided to give Mandrake 7.0 a try after using Redhat 6.1 for about a
> > month and a half. Here's my problem:
> > When I try to mount floppies I made with Redhat 6.1, I get an error
> > message, "could not list directory contents, file/mnt/floppy.." what do I
> > need to do to -- "So many idiots.. get this working correctly. I'm amazed
> > that I can't mount a ext2 floppy. I so few comets.." edited the fstab as
> > follows:  H Henry /dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2 /dev/hda5 / ext2
> > defaults 1 1 /dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0 /dev/hda7 /home ext2
> > defaults 1 2 /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,ext2 dev=/dev/fd0
> > 0 0 none /proc proc defaults 0 0 none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> > /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
> >
> > (I added ext2 in fs=..)
>
> Therefore, your current floppy line in /etc/fstab looks like this:
>
> /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,ext2 dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
>
> That is clearly wrong.  It should be this:
>
> /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy   auto  sync,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,unhide
> 0 0
>
> Or even just this:
>
> /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy ext2   noauto   0  0
> ^^^^^^^^   ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^   ^^^^^^   ^^^^
> item 1    item 2     item 3   item 4  item 5
>
> item 1 = physical device.  MUST be in /dev   in this case /dev/fd0
> you are using a mount point in item 1, which will not work.
>
> item 2 = mount point.  Classically /mnt/floppy  but you could
> use any blank or empty directory you want.  Some peope use
> /drive_A
> or something similar.  Just create an empty directory and use it.
> In most Linux distros, /mnt/floppy is the default.  But make sure
> it actually exists BEFORE you try mounting something to it.
>
> item 3 = file system type.  Could be msdos, could be ext2 or
> could be "auto" for automatic detection of the file type in
> the floppy.  Auto was not allowed here until recently, when
> auto-detection was implemented for floppy mounts.
>
> item 4  These are options, and there are many.  In the second
> example above, "noauto" means not to mount the floppy
> automatically
> when it is inserted in the drive.  When a floppy is inserted in
> the drive, it closes a tiny switch which can be detected by the
> operating system, which can then mount it.  MSDOS and Win95 are
> examples of OS's that do this, but you should know that this is
> just by design and is not inherent.  You have to make the OS
> recognize the floppy.  In the example above, noauto means
> that you have to explictly give the 'mount' command.
>
> Item 5 has to do with when fsck checks your drive for file
> type errors.
>
> Here are ways to mount things.  Depends if you have a valid
> fstab file that allows the shortcut.
>
> prompt# mount /mnt/floppy

> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Williams;Donna
tel;home:301-310-0441
tel;work:301-310-0441
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:General Dynamics - Electronic Systems;Veni, Vidi, Velcro !     ( I came, I saw, I stuck around ! )
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Software Test Engineer
fn:Donna Williams