The reason Win95/98 are so large and slow is that they
WERE supposed to be backwards compatible as much as
possible. Win2000 is not the next step in the Win95/98
chain, its the next step in the NT chain. Windows
Millenium is the next step in 95/98 chain, and it has
the same problems 95 & 98 do, plus the obligatory new
bugs MS introduces with each new product.
I like Mandrake BECAUSE it's not backwards. If I
wanted to run Linux on a 386, I wouldn't have bought a
PIII 500, yet most of the Linux (binary) distros I see
are for 386s. Since I'm new to Linux, I didn't want to
have to figure out how to do a build just to take
advantage of my hardware.
If Mandrake doesn't install on my old hardware
(haven't tried it yet, but I will) I won't be
heartbroken - heck, I won't even be annoyed. There are
enough distributions out there that DO support
obsolete equipment by default. :)

--- Sean Armstrong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thank you for reading the whole message and not
> being overly sensitive. The
> reason I wrote such a stinging message in the first
> place was due to the
> lack of response to the problems by people that
> would rather be led around
> on their favorite distributions corporate change and
> could not see no wrong
> in the distribution. Thank you for looking past this
> prejudice and trying to
> solve the real issue.
>
> I agree with you that 7.0 + is not as backwards
> compatible. I understand
> what you are saying about older hardware. But, I do
> believe the original
> idea of Linux was so that it worked on all of these
> old pieces of hardware.
> Ive run Win98 on the same two computers and they
> work but they sure do bog
> down. But when I run Linux, I can do things on these
> old computers that just
> wouldn't be possible under Win98 because of speed. I
> thought the whole
> reason for switching to Linux was to get away from
> Winbloze. Now, by your
> own argument, it sounds like Mandrake wishes to make
> their distribution more
> like windo$e. No backward compatability. Have you
> tried Win2000 yet? This is
> a major problem with Win2000. And Win200 runs faster
> on my computers than
> Win98. Can you believe that? I don't like Windoze. I
> love working with
> Linux. I'd hate to see people lose focus of the
> Linux objective just to make
> a profit. Thank you for your patience.
> SA
>
> >From: Wolfgang Bornath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: [expert] Formerly: Mandrake 7.02 is
> messed up
> >Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 22:32:18 +0100
> >
> >On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 13:13 -0600, Sean Armstrong
> wrote:
> > > Now that I've had some time to cool down, let me
> start by apologizing to
> > > those diehard Mandrake people that couldn't read
> past the Subject before
> > > getting offended and defensive of their
> distribution.
> >
> >I read past the subject and I even read this mail
> till the end.
> >And I understand quite well what you mean. I do get
> the point
> >you're making.
> >
> >I cannot say anything about the mouse-problem or
> other problems.
> >
> >Just about the CD issue. You made it very clear
> yourself in this
> >mail.
> >
> >1. You have old hardware and new hardware.
> >
> >2. You have an "old" Mandrake version and a new
> version.
> >
> >See the picture?
> >
> >Mandrake's distribution aims at the hardware of
> today *without*
> >carrying all the back-compatibility with it. The
> optimization
> >for 586 cpus makes that very clear.

> [...]

=====
Mage Grimau, Strange Unwashed & Somewhat Slightly Dazed