Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> How do I know if I have this problem...?

This problem arises because of the PC's BIOS PROM's inability to boot
beyond cylinder 1023.  If you use a Boot Manager, and make sure it is
located below cylinder 1024, then only this Boot Manager is ever
booted by the BIOS.   The Boot Manager does the rest of the booting
and if you choose a modern one then it has no 1024 cylinder or 8Gb
limit in what it can boot.   Hooray!

Setting up your new disk as LBA in the BIOS scales the cylinder
numbers down, because each LBA virtual cylinder consists of an
integral number of physical cylinders.   This is implemented in the
drive itself semi-permanently by the BIOS, and raises the 1023
(virtual) cylinder limit high enough that it usually raises no
further problems even without a Boot Manager, depending on the size
of your disk.

You must choose LBA or normal on first installation of a new disk -
if you attempt to change it, everything on the disk is lost because
of the new virtual to physical cylinder-head-sector mapping.

--

Regards,

Ron. [AU] - sent by Linux.