"Stephen",

Yes, I have used word for large files
and I've used it since msword version 6.0

I'm the author of an open content FRPG,
http://members.xoom.com/Lycadican

it's split into two word docs which combined
total ~412 pages. I've never had msword choke
on them. I've had msword for some reason grow
the file size without reason. Once the file size
grew to 63MB. I had to cut and paste everything
to a new file (and then spend hours reformatting)
and the size went down to ~20MB.

However, now that I've moved to LInux I'm looking
for something just as good for Linux so I an port my
document over. I'd REALLY like it if it had an open,
sane file format but I think right now that would be asking too
much. (Hopefully KWord will mature to the point where
I can import my docs to a reasonable extent).

Cheers,
Sheldon.
"Definitions involving chicken heads no longer apply."
  -Jon katz