> Caldera was the only one I could fully install.  It started up, but
> there was no option during the install to create a boot disk ...

Hmmm... that sounds suspiciously like a bug.  They really didn't give you
the option to create a boot floppy?

> Then I tried Corel Linux.  This was an instant failure, since it only
> recognized my HD as having two partitions - one of 32 megs (boot1) and
> the other having 20 gigs (it is a 20.4 gig HD).

When I helped a friend install (an earlier version of) Corel Linux, it
would not let you install to already-created partitions.  This looks like
a different problem; it's not looking inside your extended partition.
Anyhow, I don't think you're missing much.  Their KFM hack made it
function more like explorer, which is positive.  However, they use
Debian's package management system, which I, for one, find confusing, and
their distribution is lacking a whole buttload of functionality.  Worse, I
think, than the functionality that comes with Windows.

> Next try was Suse.  This did not work either, because the Suse installer
> would only let me install it on contiguous partitions.  This seems to be
> quite stupid, actually, and I can't figure out any reason for it, but
> that's the way it is.

That just sounds wrong.  SUSE is, so I've heard, a moderately good
distrbution.  This isn't positive.

> I also tried a RedHat 6.2 beta CD I have from a magazine.  That didn't go
> very far in the install, it would not recognize my CD-Rom drive.  It gave
> a list of only a few CD-Roms, and I tried them all, but none of them
> worked.

Probably, I would think, because it is a beta.  You might get the official
6.2 version - it is out now, isn't it? - and try that.

-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>