Mike Corbeil wrote:
> Actually, I guess that the boot directory doesn't need to be named /boot, as
> long as the correct path is specified in the boot configuration.  This may be
> incorrect; however, the reason I say this is because linuxconf lilo boot
> configuration requires the name of the kernel image file as well as the
> directory path, at least when linuxconf isn't run in or from the /boot
> directory, or the directory the kernel image(s) are located in.
>
> Otherwise, if /boot is strictly required, then I don't know why linuxconf would
> require for the directory to be specified.

You're perfectly right: lilo only needs to find the kernel image,
and you could often, in theory, put that anywhere as long as you
specify it correctly in lilo.conf

However, the /boot directory is part of the File System Standard (FSS)
in linux, and this standard has been elaborated for several reasons:
 .. mainly to aim for better interoperability between different
     Linux distributions.
 .. in the case of /boot, this also provides a suitable mount point
     to mount a different partition. This is mostly used for older
     BIOSes that can't deal with the 1024-cylinder limit, so that
     you can make sure that a boot kernel will be physically below
     the limit.

--
Jean-Louis Debert        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
74 Annemasse  France