By default (i.e., you don't choose any filter for the samba printer),  printtool
will use /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters/smbprint, which uses smbclient to connect
to the remote samba printer.  You may need to debug this file a little bit to see
if it does communicate  well with the windows printer.   Moreover, if you want to
print ps file to the windows printer (which usually cannot print ps files), you
also need to add some gs command before you send the file to the samba printer.
On the other hand,  if you choose your own filter, you need to add the smbclient
command to the filter file (usually, ps-to-printer.fpi). For example,  following
is the modification I made to my ps-to-printer.fpi ( under
/usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters/)  file in order to print to my Epson Stylus  860
attached to Windown NT:
elif [ "$GSDEVICE" = "uniprint" ]; then
     echo "enter upp">>/tmp/print.log
#  Set default *.upp driver (your default printer upp driver here)
   if [ "$COLOR" = "" ]; then
      COLOR="stcany"
      echo "No filename for parameters given.  Assume $COLOR."
   fi
# the smbclient command is what I added to print to my windows NT printer
   eval "$mpage_cmd | gs -q @$COLOR.upp -r$RESOLUTION \
      -sPAPERSIZE=$PAPERSIZE \
      $EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS \
      -sOutputFile=- - |/usr/bin/smbclient \\\\chep26\\epson -U
yourusername%yourpasswd -c \
      'printmode graphics;print -' >>/tmp/print.log; echo "done">>/tmp/print.log
Hope this can help.
Chunnuan