> Jean-Louis Debert wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't know for what reasons, but 90.0.0.x is guaranteed not to be
> > > routed, so it's not "just any old network". At least, that's what some old
> > > tool told me, and it happened to be the one to which I was introduced
> > > before 192.168.1.*.
> >
> > 90.0.0.x is just _unassigned_ currently (it's reserved to IANA).
> > It is _not_ "guaranteed" to stay that way or "not to be routed".
> >
> > The reference for networks "guaranteed" not to be routed (the
> > correct naming is "private networks"), is RFC 1918
> > (which obsoletes RFC 1597).
> >
> > See http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/rfc/
> >
> > For class A networks, the legal private network address is 10.x.y.z,
> > not 90 ...
>
> *CHEERS*
>
> Sense prevails!

And to clarify further, my linux network admin book states that the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the following
network numbers...

    Class  |  Networks
      A    |  10.0.0.0
      B    |  172.16.0.0  through 172.31.0.0
      C    |  192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.0

This is stated as being in the older RFC 1597 specs.  According to RFC 1918
(feb 1996), this still appears to be correct.

Thanks... Dan.