On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 10:08:48AM -0600, Daniel Woods wrote:
->
-> > Charles Curley wrote:
-> > > On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 10:37:04AM -0600, Daniel Woods wrote:
-> > > ->
-> > > -> > Assuming your ISP is providing you with only a single IP address, you want
-> > > -> > something along these lines:
-> > > -> >
-> > > -> > +--------+
-> > > -> > | Comp B |---\    +---+
-> > > -> > +--------+    \---| H |      +--------+     +-------+
-> > > -> >                   | u |------| Comp A |-----| Modem |
-> > > -> > +--------+    /---| b |      +--------+     +-------+
-> > > -> > | Comp C |---/    +---+
-> > > -> > +--------+
-> >
-> > Why purchase another machine at all?  Install a second network interface
-> > card into Comp B and connect it in the diagram as Comp A.  It'll cost ya
-> > about $10-20 for a nic.
->
-> I do have a second NIC, but this still leaves Comp A vulnerable to attack
-> if it's connected to the cable modem.  Comp B is my development machine
-> and placing it as Comp A might be risky.  Is this a valid assumption ?

Yep. Development or any other proprietary data should NEVER be on the
firewall.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley