I finally am able to read both the CDRW and the Zip drive. The answer
seems to have been a combination of all you guys' advice.

Ron Stodden said:
>  > This is now there:
>  > /sbin/modprobe sg
>  > /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
>
>  You don't need this last, since LILO got the kernel to set it up
-
>  see your dmesg to confirm that.

No, I am running Mandrake 7.0, but without those two statements (I
don't know that =both= are needed), I =don't= get the following in
dmesg:
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI)
5.1.21/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
 hdd:<3>ide-scsi: hdd: unsupported command in request queue (0)
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 0
 unable to read partition table
scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 2 hosts.
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: 13.A
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: Memorex   Model: CDRW-2216         Rev: 1.0b
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 16x/16x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196576 [95 MB]
[0.1
GB]
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
VFS: Disk change detected on device sr(11,0)
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A

And the above gave me the clue I needed for the zip drive: sda is
what
it wants to see in fstab:
/dev/sda /mnt/zip vfat exec,user,noauto,rw,suid,dev 0 0

I got tired of all the deleting and relinking to /dev/zip, so I just
put /dev/sda in fstab.
--
Lane
____