On Mon, 15 May 2000, Vincent Danen wrote:
> What file, specifically, does ipchains log to when I use -l?  It says it
> writes to syslog but when I look in /var/log, I don't see anything that it
> writes to and I'm trying to debug a firewall script...  any info is
> appreciated.

Logs from ipchains go to the same place as all your logs from
kernel, exact location depends on your syslog configuration. Take a look
in /etc/syslog.conf and find a line with:
 kern.*
on the same line there should be a name of file where the kernel logs go
to. If you can't find such line then probably you have line similar
to:

*.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none        /var/log/messages

which says that messages from most facilities (including kernel) go to
/var/log/messages.

Regards

--
Registered Linux user #166697