If you turn off xfs, you probably won't be able to run X correctly (That's your X Font
Server)

You can check for the exisitance of NFS running by looking in /etc/rc.d/rcx.d (Where x
is
your default run level)   Look for something like S##NFS.

You can shut it down manually if it is running by doing a /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs stop

Good luck -Aaron

You can also try

"Bruce E. Harris" wrote:

> Ok, checked everything in rc.d and found no tilde.
> This system is a desktop, with 1 hda one 4GB (IDE) split into two VFAT
> partitions for win95 with one ext2 boot partition and one 9 GB sda split into
> three ext2 partitions. No RAID or NFS used. Oh it does have a zip and that does
> hang during boot up if empty, so I keep a disk in it.
>
> fstab follows:
>
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/DOS_hda1 vfat user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
> /dev/hda5 /mnt/DOS_hda5 vfat user,exec,conv=auto 0 0
> /dev/sda5 /pix ext2 defaults 1 1
> /dev/hda2 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
> /dev/sda6 / ext2 defaults 1 1
> /dev/sda7 swap swap defaults 0 0
> /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
> /mnt/zip /mnt/zip supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/zip 0 0
> ~
> ~
> I never modified fstab, install default.
>
> Is it possible NFS is started by default and I need to turn it off? Where could
> I check for it? I have looked into DrakConf under services, and NFS is not
> running but XFS is, whatever that is, external file system? if so what is that
> and could that be the problem?
>
> On Fri, 19 May 2000, you wrote:
> > OK 7.0
> >
> > I have seen no problems here except I do remember someone's complaining about the
> > shutdown trying to shutdown his computer and instead producing some interesting
>races
> > of characters across his screen.  I suggested he edit a file which was a symlink to
> > another file and he did and the system kept reading the backup version of the
> > symlinked script until he deleted it.
> >
> > SO
> >
> > next step is to check for any files in any of the subdirectories of /etc/rc.d that
> > have a tilde (~) on the end.  If there is one, something has been done with a
>script.
> >
> > After that, you might clue us in on what sort of filesystem you are
> > running--processes and scripts take different paths for RAID for example.
> >
> > Civileme
> >

> --
> Best Regards, Bruce
>
> Father to Bruce, Maverick & Aleister 1 Feb 2000
> Akina, age 14, Misa, age 12, Miyuki age 10
> My website: http://harrisherd.ahv.cx
>   Tired of computer viruses or crashes?
>   Check out Linux: http://www.linux.org
begin:vcard
n:Hackney;Aaron
tel;pager:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;fax:309-634-2335
tel;home:309-346-2927
tel;work:309-634-2235
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:aaron.heart.net
org:Heart Communications
adr:;;221 Hillside Ct.	;Pekin;IL;61554;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Network Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;0