Hi Bruce, Civileme et al.

I've just installed Mandrake 7.0 and found the same problem (with umounting
file systems while shutting down). I'm not an expert [I barely make it as a
newbie], but what I've found is that the problem is with my Floppy drive
(and possibly CD drive if there is no CD in it). Before shutting down, I
have to su login as root, umount the floppy and then it's okay. I've
installed mandrake on my laptop and I'm the only user at the moment, so
this is not a major problem (unless I forget -- which happens), but i guess
I should find a neater solution.

HTH.

Dave

 >OK 7.0
 >I have seen no problems here except I do remember someone's complaining
about the
 >shutdown trying to shutdown his computer and instead producing some
interesting races
 >of characters across his screen. I suggested he edit a file which was a
symlink to
 >another file and he did and the system kept reading the backup version of
the
 >symlinked script until he deleted it.
 >SO
 >next step is to check for any files in any of the subdirectories of
/etc/rc.d that
 >have a tilde (~) on the end. If there is one, something has been done
with a script.
 >After that, you might clue us in on what sort of filesystem you are
 >running--processes and scripts take different paths for RAID for example.
 >Civileme

Dave Whiting
Data Services Manager
AMMP