On Thu, 25 May 2000, ibi wrote:

> If I understood the discussion yesterday qmail can't be ported to Linux
> because of the language. The developer of said app flatly refuses to
> allow qmail to be adapted/adopted/ported or changed inre binary code.
>
> I don't know a thing about servers, but it seems to me that if I am
> bound and determined to use qmail then I need to make the Unix based
> FreeBSD or OpenBSD my OS rather than Linux-Mandrake.
>
> Just my quarter's worth..

Completely wrong.  I use qmail on two Mandrake machines over here, and
have installed it on a RedHat machine for a client (and previously used it
under SuSE as well).  Qmail runs just fine under Linux.  In fact, I'm
working on an RPM for it now.  There was an issue in the license that
indicated qmail couldn't be distributed in binary form (only source) but I
belive that restriction has been lifted.

Somebody *please* correct me if I'm wrong because I'm making an RPM for
qmail now that will allow you to just easily install it in binary form
with all user setups and everything.  If this isn't permissible and I've
mis-understood something, I need to know so I just make available source
RPM and not binaries.  I've done it with the daemontools package and will
soon do it with uscpi-tcp (not sure on the license regarding those two),
as well as some other add-ons for Qmail, some of which have already made
it into contribs.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
Freezer Burn BBS:  telnet://bbs.freezer-burn.org . ICQ: 54924721