On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 02:43:32PM -0500, Ivan Trail wrote:
-> Hello,
->
-> I think the best place to help with the Mandrake distro would be these two
-> points which would be considered part of the install process.
->
-> 1) When the Install is formating the partitions, and check for badblocks is
-> enabled,  It would be nice to  have the machine search for the badblocks and
-> mark them "unwriteable"  I have a machine that was a gift and there were a lot
-> of bad blocks in one place.  This caused the install to hang while trying to
-> format these blocks and eventually exit with a signal 11 (maybe 7?)  The only
-> way I got around this was to mark that art of the disk as a separate partition
-> and not do anything with it.  This is better than Gates ware because it
-> wouldn't even let me do any thing.

First, I'm not sure the Mandrake Linux installation process even checks
for bad blocks. I don't recall it as an option on 6.1, and haven't used
7.x.

Second, I'm not sure it is necessary. Thes days, bad block handling should
be left to the hard drive. On SCSI since day 1 and IDE since at least 10
years ago, the hard drive smarts handle bad blocks in a manner transparent
to the user. If you start to see bad blocks, it is time to buy a new hard
drive.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley