Hello,
this is both a suggestion for next release of Mandrake,
and a search for somebody who has already solved the
same problem.

On servers and/or low resources PCs, it would be very
nice (to save resources) if one could work:

1)      without X, but
2)      At the maximum resolution (1024x768 or higher)
2)      viewing different text windows at the same time.

Example: I have Mandrake 6 on my laptop (P133, 32 M RAM).
It *does* run KDE/Gimp/KFM/etc... when I need them, but
you can imagine the speed...

Many times, however, I only need emacs, one shell and
pine. With an environment as above, I would go much faster
without loosing resolution and multi-window view.

Same applies on a server installation.

Now the suggestion:

SVGAText and TWIN (http://linuz.sns.it/~max/twin)
are two GPL packages that would do together
exactly what I described.
It would be *VERY* nice to have them polished and tested
by the MDK team, compiled for pentium, and packaged together
with as many configuration instructions as possible (i.e. tested
configuration files for many video cards).

Again, if somebody has already tested this combination,
please let us know. TIA.

                Ciao,
                        Marco Fioretti