Anton Graham wrote:
> For simple text cols x rows selection in standard resolutions, passing
> vga=ask to the kernel at boot time will get you a menu of standard
> text modes (up to 132x60 which is pretty unreadable on a small
> screen in standard text modes).  Then replace the vga=ask with
> vga=mode_number.  A better solution is to use an fb kernel and select
> an appropriate graphics mode to use for text.  (I use a 1024x768 24bpp
> text mode.)  The mode numbers for the fb kernel can be found in
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

This will work, but the guy who started the thread wanted something
for more speed ... Seems to me you won't have this with a fb console,
because you are replacing a _text_ mode with a _graphic_ mode at
the chipset level.
If you want speed, you are better off with SVGATextMode, which does
use _text_ modes only, and can also use custom fonts.

--
Jean-Louis Debert        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
74 Annemasse  France