Submitted 29-May-00 by Charles Curley:

| You can do this without Twin. Emacs will run a shell in a windows (M-x
| shell). And you can switch virtual consoles using <ALT>Fx where x is the
| console number you want. I believe you can specify the text resulution of
| the console you want to Linux at boot time, but I don't know how. Tomsrtbt
| even lets you have an optional menu to select a resulution.

For simple text cols x rows selection in standard resolutions, passing
vga=ask to the kernel at boot time will get you a menu of standard
text modes (up to 132x60 which is pretty unreadable on a small
screen in standard text modes).  Then replace the vga=ask with
vga=mode_number.  A better solution is to use an fb kernel and select
an appropriate graphics mode to use for text.  (I use a 1024x768 24bpp
text mode.)  The mode numbers for the fb kernel can be found in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

If you need more lines on the screen than the default 8x16 font gives
you (48 at 1024x768), you can set a different font in your
/etc/sysconfig/i18n file.  I use an 8x12 font which gives me a very
readable 128x64.  If you are a masochist, you could run an 8x8 font
which gives an insane 96 lines on the screen but it is pretty squashed.

--
       _
     _|_|_