Hi, does anybody know how to disable shadow passwords?

I've tried pwunconv and grpunconv. But then when you change your passwd
you still get an 'x' in /etc/passwd and you can't log in.

Why am I doing this? Well, when I installed Mandrake 6.1 last summer,
shadowing seemed like a reasonable thing to do, even though my machine
is a dial-up client. However, I just installed netatalk and wasn't been
able to get it working with shadow passwords (problems compiling DES
module). So I rebuilt it without SHADOWPW defined.

Now some passwords do work and some don't work. And after you run passwd
on an account, the password will definitely not work. (The effect of
passwd, which I checked using
  find / -mount -mmin -2
was just to put an 'x' in passwd. So apparently it thinks shadow is in
effect but can't find the shadow file and doesn't complain.)

At this poing I'm wondering if a full upgrade to 7.1 would be the
easiest thing....

TIA!

--

Joel VanderWerf