I wanted to do the same thing on my installation.  If memory serves me you
need to do the pwunconv grpunconv as you already did.  Check that the
passwords are no longer :x: in the /etc/passwd file.

You now need to disable the password verification and generation in PAM.
Change the directory to /etc/pam.d and edit the passwd file.  Comment out the
lines as shown and rewrite these lines with the mods shown... hope that
helps... let me know if it works... its been a while since I did this:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
#password   required    /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
#password   required    /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_authtok nullok
password   required    /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so nullok

hope it helps

Werner